St. Louis pharmacist Michael Busch conceives idea to establish pharmacies managed by professional pharmacists and dedicated to meeting personal health care needs.
Medicine Shoppe International, Inc. (MSI) established to license The Medicine Shoppe® System for independent pharmacists.
First franchised pharmacy opens.
Introduction of Medicine Shoppe® Brand non-prescription product program (now represents more than 450 products).
MSI introduces first local screening program, a blood pressure check (the first of a wide variety of programs, such as blood glucose screenings, foot screenings, body fat analysis and more).
Medicine Shoppe® Pharmacies conduct their first nationally coordinated health event with a national nonprofit group: National Colon Rectal Cancer Screening held in conjunction with AMC Cancer Research Center.
National sales exceed $100 million.
Introduction of Medicine Shoppe InterNet, Inc.
MSI becomes involved with second National Senior Olympics, then later the system becomes a national sponsor of the National Senior Games Association.
- MSI grants its first international master franchise in Taiwan.
- Nationally coordinated advertising program begins.
Establishment of subsidiary, Managed Pharmacy Benefits, Inc.
- MSI sponsors creation of National Advisory Board to evaluate pharmacy credentialing standards.
- Company agreement to become wholly owned subsidiary of Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Disease Management Training Program begins.
- Total annual retail sales surpass $1 billion.
- Creation of the Medicine Shoppe Connect® System, a computer communication system featuring assorted proprietary databases and e-mail to MSI. System Web site launched under URL of www.medshoppeconnect.com.
MSI partners with CIGNA HealthCare for Disease Management Demonstration Project implemented with Medicine Shoppe® Pharmacists in Kansas/Missouri.
MSI begins new targeted health event marketing programs with assistance from pharmaceutical companies.
- MSI launches proprietary Web site for customers: www.medicineshoppe.com.
- MSI provides Store Owners custom web sites to feature staff experience and store services.